Monday, March 2, 2009

Almost off to Mexico

Dave and I are getting really excited for our vacation! Until last week it seemed so far away, and now we leave in less than a week! Today I went to the store and got us travel size toiletries (we are hoping to carry our luggage on). I also started packing, but I have some laundry to do before I finish. On Friday we'll go stay with Rick and Carol (Dave's parents) who will take us to the airport and babysit our plant starts. On the way down we have a direct flight to Mazatlan. I've arranged for a shuttle service, recommended through Mazatlan.com. We don't have any particular plans for while we are down there. Just relaxing and enjoying some sun!

Last week was tiring. I worked 6 days because I had volunteer training on Saturday, so I was off today. I also discovered that there was a mouse in my house. I had heard something in the ceiling, but hadn't seen any sign in my place. On Thursday night I got home after book club and discovered droppings in my closet - that's why I have so much laundry! It was late at night and I was NOT happy. I called me landlords the next morning, and they got right on it. They sealed off some holes between my closet and their heater room (where they were storing some food - the attractant for the mice). I haven't had a problem or heard a sound since then.

On the plus side, we went skiing twice (actually Dave went three times!). On Wednesday night we went up for night skiing. It was snowing, but the snow on the ground was in good condition. We enjoyed watching the amateurs compete in speed skiing right below the lift. On Sunday we met up with my friend Bethany and her husband Nathaniel. Dave and I had run out to Joe's to rent some different skis for me, so I got to test out the new style (curved instead of straight, thicker, and shorter). Generally speaking I really liked the different skis. They were much easier to turn and I felt more comfortable in tight spaces. My only complaint is that they were more shaky, especially when I had any speed. Dave has been very patient with me as I try to figure out my skis and get back into the swing of things.

The plants still seem to be doing well. We have the grow light all set, and we finally pulled the extras so we only have 1 plant per cell. Still waiting on most of the lavender, but that's supposed to take a long time to germinate. I'm going to plant some more in Starbucks cold cups. When we get back I'm going to start the rest of the plants. We may need to transplant the tomatoes to larger pots, but no sign of the "first true leaves" yet.

I think that's all for now. We'll try to send some updates from Mexico, and there will definitely be some posts and photos when we return.

Happy March!
Jackie and Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment