Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Being a grad student is awesome!

Why is it awesome?

Because I get to read really cool kids' books for class (among other reasons).  For instance...


In my reading comprehension class my small group selected Reading With Meaning by Debbie Miller.  Yes, you are right, this isn't a kids' book.  But, it's a truly inspirational guide to teaching reading in the primary grades.  She offers a thorough and thoughtful list of recommended readings for teaching various strategies. I'm crazy about this book.  It includes daily reading workshops for 1st graders, book choices, and coffeehouse poetry night - I'm in love!

But I digress.  For my class, I have to teach two lessons - a "Think Aloud" (modeling a strategy to students) and a lesson based on Debbie Miller's book.  Here are some of the books I've been considering:

Crow Call by Lois Lowry (I've picked this one for the Think Aloud, modeling mental images).  This is a new book, and it's gorgeous.  Lois Lowry wrote Number the Stars, which I was obsessed with and read at least 20 times in elementary school.

Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney (I might use this for a lesson on predicting/asking questions of the text).  This was one of my favorites growing up.  I remember my mom reading it to me, and I love it just as much today.

I'm also doing service learning at the Seward Park Environmental and Audubon Center, helping them organize a Super Saturday family program.  We settled on "Decomposition Rots!" for the title (I'm so easily entertained!).  I'm trying to come up with some reading activities, and here are a couple of the books:

A Log's Life by Wendy Pfeffer.  This book has gorgeous images, and really paints a clear picture of how a tree decomposes into soil.

Under One Rock by Anthony Fredericks.  Adorable, and perfect for younger audiences and budding readers to tackle on their own.

I love what I do. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment