Friday, July 10, 2009

Photographers chosen!

For the big day:

Today Dave put our contract and deposit in the mail to the photographer, Brett Szemple. Crazy!

I think we're still a bit in awe to have Brett on board. Not only does he have amazing pictures in his portfolio with the perfect editorial style we love, we are also going to get a TON of photos from him. We hope to do the standard posed group shots, lots of candids, beautiful scenery shots, and some fun ones (bridal party - get ready for the group jumping shot!). And, not only do we get Brett for 9 hours of coverage on our wedding day, he will also be there for the rehearsal dinner AND a 5-6 hour, multi-location take-two shoot the day after the wedding. As planned right now, that means we'll have pictures in Newcastle (rehearsal dinner), at Craven Farm (WEDDING!), and at the Olympic Sculpture Park, Pike Place Market, Heritage Hall (where we got engaged), and maybe South 47 Farm (has a great apple orchard).

So how did we find such an awesome photographer at a rate we can afford? Enter Maid (technically matron, but we don't like calling her that) of Honor Dana! Her cousin used Brett for her wedding, as part of his Brides Across America project. He is taking photos of weddings in every state for a book he will publish in a couple of years. Luckily for us, he has generously discounted his fees to couples involved in the project. Dana told me about the project and shared some of the pictures from the wedding, so I did a little more internet research on Brett. Then I started e-mailing him. He is very professional and responsive, which really put me at ease.

I never thought I'd end up with a photographer from across the country (Pennsylvania), but this was such a great opportunity. It's not as "green" to fly someone in, so we'll probably purchase offsets for his travel. But, artistically and economically, I couldn't be more excited about the deal we are getting - and even about being a part of the project. Can you picture Dave and I in a bridal book representing for the Northwest?

Coming soon(er):

I'm also THRILLED because we've picked a photographer for our engagement pictures: Gretchen Blair.

Gretchen goes to the same church as my mom's family. My mom knew that Gretchen was trying to build her portfolio, and thought this might be a great opportunity for all involved. We get the benefit of Gretchen's time and photos, and she can use us as her engagement shoot sample.

As you'll see from Gretchen's blog, she's done a lot with photographing kids - and the results are stunning! I love the more artistic shots with blurry backgrounds, beautiful lighting, and great poses. This shoot is really all about Dave and I having fun together (while being photographed), and I'm confident that with Gretchen's help the results will be gorgeous.

We've picked Bothell Landing as the location for the engagement shoot. When I was training for Climate Ride, Bothell Landing was one of our favorite places to stop. It's right on the Burke-Gilman Trail, and I love the bridge over the river, and the quiet park with cute buildings and gazebos. Plus, we can take pictures with our bikes!

As some of you know, I originally envisioned a fall wedding. I LOVE the early fall in Seattle. For me, September is always the beginning of the year (school starts, I have my birthday, it's sunny and warm, the leaves are just thinking about turning). Early October remains lovely with crisp air and beautiful leaves, and while the days are getting shorter, it's not yet dark at 4 p.m. But, a fall wedding was not to be; I will have grad school, my brothers will be in school, and Dave's cousins will be in school.

So, having our engagement session in the fall is ideal. I get photos of us in the colors and setting I originally envisioned, along with the summer farm setting I'm now in love with. Hoorah!

1 comment:

  1. That's so awesome! I love both their work!!! Can't wait to see all the pictures and how rad that you might be in a book!!!

    Do people still say "rad"? haha

    ReplyDelete