Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Snow!

After an epic journey home from school yesterday, I'm happy to say that Dave and I are snug and warm at home today.

Yesterday morning I decided to head in for school since there wasn't much snow yet and the buses were running.  I made it in easily, went to lecture, had a good teaching team meeting for the class I TA, went to the gym, generally did just fine hanging around campus.  The weather was supposed to get bad late afternoon/early evening, but since I was there I decided to stick it out and see if I had my usual 4:30-6:30 class.  You see, my professor doesn't use e-mail.  I find this ridiculous (though I also know that she won't read this because she doesn't like electronics).  We did indeed have about half our class show, along with our professor.  A group was presenting, so that went on despite one member taking from 2-6pm to make it to school from Puyallup.  Then things proceeded to run OVER.  A little after 6:30 I checked my phone and saw that Dave was trying to reach me.  He said traffic was horrendous and I should leave ASAP.  Finally at 6:45 when class showed no signs of ending, I walked out - let's all appreciate that this is a big deal for a nerd like me. :)  I called Dave and found out the UW had officially canceled night classes and shut down at 5pm - too bad for half of my class!

It was insanely cold and windy (for what this Washingtonian is used to), but I made it to the bus stop.  Luckily I managed to get a bus at 7:15, which really wasn't bad considering.  The bus had chains, and there were only 6 of us at the fullest point, so I was comfortable.  Things moved slowly getting to the bridge, but once we hit the high rise on 520 it got crazy. It took 50 minutes to cross the bridge, and coming up on the east side we weaved through a maze of disabled vehicles.  Just past Evergreen Point we stopped entirely for 10-15 minutes.  Once we started moving again I saw about 5 vehicles to the side of the road, which they must have been clearing.  Then our exit was freshly blocked by another disabled vehicle, and we had to take a detour through Bellevue.  I finally made it to my stop and the fresh snow made it not at all slippery walking the final 1/4 mile or so home.  Lucky for me, Dave was already safe at home and ready to feed me!  It's times like this that I'm really glad my husband is good at driving in the snow.  I don't have to worry as much about him getting back safely (though I worry about the others on the road), and I know if we have to get anywhere we can.

Today we're staying in.  Dave is working from home, and I fortunately didn't have to be anywhere today anyway.  A couple hours ago we took a walk down to the waterfront, and then got coffee (I love that we can walk to things!).  Dave snapped a couple of pictures of me on his phone:



Tehehe.

Hope everyone in the snow is enjoying it and staying safe today!

1 comment:

  1. love the pictures! Glad you made it safe and sound home last night. Enjoy staying warm inside today. We are!

    ReplyDelete