They are good because thinking about a post-grad school life with Dave keeps me going. So, I thought I'd follow the wonderful example of our friends B&D and lay out some goals for the year (or so) ahead.
Exercise
Biking with friends in summer 2008
It's been driving me crazy that I don't have more time for working out right now. Come March, I really want to focus on my fitness both so I can do all the fun and crazy things I want to do, and also so I feel better about myself. In the next couple years we really want to do some more major events like the STP, but we'll work up to that...
Some of the things I want to work on are:
- Yoga - it's scary how unflexible I am
- Running - I want to be better at doing a 5k and capable of running a whole 10k
- Do at least 1 duathlon (to support Dave as he does 4 triathlons!)
- Biking (it's time to get back in the saddle) - including at least 1 official half century or longer
Because it makes me feel good. And I never get enough. I hope this will include:
- Gardening - focusing on flowers, pumpkins, peas, lettuce, and herbs
- Hiking
- Camping
- Weekend trips around Washington
Right now all I seem to have time for is school reading. I miss finishing Book Club books. And reading, well, ANYTHING else. In 2008 I read 21 books (almost 8,000 pages - go me!). In 2009 I wrote down 11, but I don't know that I kept good track - thought it's possible I did and it was lower given wedding planning and starting school! This year, I look forward to getting lost in some more great stories...
I'm currently working on:
Make things
For me, saying I'm going to learn to make more things is less scary than "crafting." I have a real problem of feeling intimidated by crafting - in part because I'm a perfectionist, and in part because I think my crafty friends are just so much better at it than me. And I know they would never want that to stop me, especially because I do like making things (I'm thinking of the friendship bracelets, beaded necklaces, cross stitch patterns, and other art projects of my childhood). Lucky for me my husband is very good at detail-oriented, tedious tasks, which is a remarkably handy skill for a supportive partner.
Specifically, here are my hopes for this year:
- Learn to knit (I am the proud owner of a knitting book and new needles)
- Acquire a sewing machine and begin to learn the basics
- Make at least a few gifts
In part I mean try more recipes, and make things beyond our staples more frequently. We also want to make more things ourselves instead of buying them - like bread in our bread machine and dutch oven (which, by the way, makes the BEST bread we've ever had), hot sauce (we have a jar we made in the refrigerator now), etc. Dave got really excited about this when I bought him:
Oh, and just a little thing...graduate and get a job :)


March will come faster than you can blink! You can dooooo it ;) I'm liking the Forgotten Garden so far, you?
ReplyDelete