Saturday, August 13, 2011

The garden, and summer, in full bloom


This summer I feel like our bee spinner; I'm soaking it all in, but sometimes I get a bit overwhelmed by the elements, and I'm always, always spinning.

Everyone has been so thoughtful, asking about our garden, my new job, how friends and family are doing.  And lately people have been commenting on that fact that it's almost our one year wedding anniversary.  Sometimes I'm amazed at how the seasons come and go, both dragging on and passing in the blink of an eye.

To answer one question, our garden is lush.  The dahlias, in particular, are incredible.  Bountiful.  Huge.  If they had looked like this last year, we might not have needed to get our wedding flowers from the farm across from Craven.



As per usual, our zucchini plants are an abundant success. Excess?  It all seems to come at once, which starts out as exciting, and quickly becomes overwhelming.


Maybe that's why I like gardening so much.  It really is a living, tangible metaphor for life.  Our first summer gardening our two plots were hit and miss, often unruly, and showed our naivete.  Last year the garden seemed scatterbrained, overwhelmed, the unfortunate castoff of wedding brains.

This year our garden has had more attention, but also more strategic, practiced attention.  It hasn't been perfect, but we've learned what we grow well, and have ideas about how to improve.  We try not to overstretch ourselves (and are semi-successful in this goal).  And it shows - some things are lovely, others take second chance, and still others are on hold, waiting for a long term space, that's right outside our door.

And we're about the same - there are high points of the summer, like Karla and Brian's wedding, Dave's reunion, my time at NOAA Science Camp, celebrating weddings and birthdays.  But there are things we are still working to figure out: my job, vacation time, workouts (don't worry, we're hopeful and excited about all fronts).  It's a beautiful summer, and we're learning and growing with each and every experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment